Cyclers in the information age have everything better as the times and gadgets available signifies the availability of more riding data than before. Every data-hungry beginner, enthusiast or cycling competitor knows the importance of owning personal bike computers and speedometers instead of struggling to collect riding data with just a smartphone.
Relate: “Best Bike Locks for Keeping Your Wheels Safe”
If you’re looking to buy a bicycle computer, this post will help point you in the right direction. Keep reading to learn why every rider should own a bicycle computer, the points to look out for as you pick a bike computer, and compare the best models available.
- Product Comparison – Top 10 Best Bike Computers Reviews
- Point of Interest
- CAT EYE – Velo 7 Bike Computer and Speedometers
- SY Bicycle Speedometer and Odometer Wireless
- ICOCOPRO Bicycle Computer with Solar Energy Bicycle Speedometer
- CAT EYE – Strada Wireless Bike Computer and Speedometers
- CAT EYE – Padrone Wireless Bike Computer and Speedometers
- IGPSPORT GPS Bike Computer and Speedometers
- JGRZF Bike Computer and Speedometers
- MACUNIN Bike Computer and Speedometers
- Nellvita Multi Function Wireless Bike Cycling Computer and Speedometers
- Nellvita NWP-7 Multi Function Wireless Bicycle Cycling Computer and Speedometers
- BUYING GUIDE
- Final Verdict
Product Comparison – Top 10 Best Bike Computers Reviews
|No||Product Name||Product Image||Best Feature||Rating|
|1||CAT EYE - Velo 7 Bike Computer||Perfect for beginners||4.2|
|2||SY Bicycle Speedometer and Odometer Wireless||Pocket-friendly||2.5|
|3||ICOCOPRO Bicycle Computer with Solar Energy Bicycle Speedometer||Automatically recharges with solar energy||3.7|
|4||CAT EYE - Strada Wireless Bike Computer||Can be used for two bikes||3.6|
|5||CAT EYE - Padrone Wireless Bike Computer||Manual odometer allows you to save previous progress||4.1|
|6||IGPSPORT GPS Bike Computer||Fast and accurate position tracking||3.8|
|7||JGRZF Bike Computer||Water-resistant||4|
|8||MACUNIN Bike Computer||Three different types of backlight||2.8|
|9||Nellvita Multi Function Wireless Bike Cycling Computer||Most functions||3.1|
|10||Nellvita NWP-7 Multi Function Wireless Bicycle Cycling Computer||Large screen||3.2|
Point of Interest
When mounted, a bike computer will measure and show relevant information for your cycling activities. Details like distance traveled, speed, heart rate and altitude are common functions in most bicycle computers. You have probably debated the need for buying a bike computer since your smartphone can probably handle all that already. Here are a few benefits of owning a proper bike computer that will have you setting aside your phone and asking what is the best bike computer?
- Riding information is easily accessible and easily readable: if you’re like every other normal person, your phone has a lock. Having to stop and unlock your phone before accessing riding information is very inconvenient, but that is what you get if you’re using your phone instead of a bike computer. Bicycle computers have a clean and simplistic user interface so that users can quickly access the varied functions available.
- Your phone stays safe: you probably spent hundreds of dollars on your shiny smartphone and didn’t want it getting smashed or totaled in a biking accident. If you’re outdoors, you need your phone for emergencies. It is quite dangerous to risk damaging your phone and cutting off your lifeline to help while on a long cycling trip. Purchase a less expensive bike computer instead and stow your phone away from where it is safe.
- Equipped with different functions designed for bicycle riding: a good bike computer is equipped with basic functions like speed and distance. Most of them have extra features like heart rate and calorie count too. You have more options on a bike computer than your phone could provide so choose the gadget that was made for the ride.
- Your phone battery will not be drained: nobody wants a drained battery when it’s selfie time. You can save your phone battery when you have a dedicated cycling computer strapped to your bike. With a bicycle computer doing all the work, your phone battery is preserved for more befitting functions like making calls.
As the popular saying goes, whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. This couldn’t be truer when it comes to riding with bike computers as opposed to using your smartphone for the job. It is worth it to get the extra features and simplicity. Sure you will be spending some extra money, but you will enjoy it.
CAT EYE – Velo 7 Bike Computer and Speedometers
The Velo 7 bike computer by CAT EYE is probably the most beginner-friendly option out there for starters. The available statistics are basic and easy to understand. This means you have just enough information to enjoy the device without getting confused. The battery is reliable, it is simple to set up, and this bike computer delivers simplicity and ease of use that is almost unparalleled.
Anyone starting with biking should purchase the Velo 7 as their new best friend. Because this wireless bike computer and speedometers are easy to set up, it is even simpler for first time users to operate and enjoy. You don’t have to worry about the accuracy of your statistics when you make a stop. The Velo 7 will pause automatically and resume when motion sensors pick up movement again.
- Long-lasting battery.
- Wired sensor.
- Beginner-friendly stats and controls.
- Super easy and straightforward to use.
- Very simple with all the basics included and perfect for beginners.
- Easy to setup.
- Pauses at a stop and automatically wakes when you resume.
- Not designed for rigorous use.
- Sensors are weak.
Every bike enthusiast or a beginner looking for the basics will find the Velo 7 is up to the task. This unit displays current, average and maximum speed, including total trip distance and other essential statistics. The durable battery is long-lasting and will endure for years. Note that the sensors are not as sharp as other more professional bike computers and this unit might not withstand rigorous continual use.
SY Bicycle Speedometer and Odometer Wireless
Do you want a bike computer but are not ready to splurge on the best available technology? Do you want the best budget bike computer that performs optimally? This is probably the best option for bikers on a budget. This unit packs all the essential functions and has a backlight for more comfortable reading under different light conditions.
This bike computer and speedometers are the best option if you don’t want to spend a fortune on this product. You can buy multiple units for different bikes, your pets or your children’s bikes without breaking a sweat. All the essential functions are in place, and this wireless version is easy to use. The backlight comes in very handy and makes statistics easy to read no matter what time of day it is.
- Night and day backlight.
- Usable on different types of bikes.
- Automatic wake up function.
- Very pocket-friendly.
- Easy to read in delicate light.
- Accomplishes basic tasks.
- Batteries are not rechargeable.
- Inconvenient to install.
- Inconsistent sensor.
This is a fabulous bike computer if you don’t need anything more than the basics. It works perfectly well and is very cost-effective. Installation can be quite a challenge, and the sensor is not fantastic, so don’t expect to get more than you paid for on this unit.
ICOCOPRO Bicycle Computer with Solar Energy Bicycle Speedometer
This is another best budget bike computer with some more functions than our cheapest choice. It comes equipped with an LCD backlight so you can comfortably view statistics at night. Installation might be challenging, but after successfully installing this bike computer, you will find navigation is easy, and the unit is durable.
This bike computer comes installed with two built-in batteries but also has a solar panel that automatically charges when exposed to sunlight. This helps to preserve and elongate the life of the batteries since they don’t have to work as hard. Furthermore, the energy-saving function helps save battery life by entering standby mode after a period of inactivity.
- Solar panel for automatic recharge.
- 22 built-in functions.
- Energy-saving standby mode.
- Night and day backlight.
- Batteries included.
- Fits securely on the bike.
- Solar battery complements built-in batteries.
- Auto sleep function saves energy.
- The many functions aren’t easy to use.
- Weatherproofing is weak.
- Poor screen contrast.
If you’re not willing to spend a lot of money on a bike computer but appreciate having a variety of functions at your disposal, this is an excellent option for you. Be aware, however, that all 22 features might be confusing to use if you’re not professional effectively. Provide some extra protection for this unit also as the weatherproofing isn’t exhaustive.
CAT EYE – Strada Wireless Bike Computer and Speedometers
This is an improved version of CAT EYE’s Strada bike computer. It is lighter, slimmer and faster. Customize your display to show selected function at the bottom of your screen and enjoy a pleasant ride with this unit on your bike.
The best budget bike computer might not necessarily be the cheapest but the one you can use in different capacities. This bicycle computer is made for dual tire size, which means you can use one for two bikes instead of purchasing separate computers for your multiple bikes. It displays all your favorite statistics and more for in-depth information.
- Multiple functions are available.
- Automatically stops when you take a break.
- Flex tight bracket.
- Easy to read.
- Easy to set up.
- Can be used on different bikes.
- Data can reset when you hit a bump.
- You may have to squint to see under the sun.
If you have two bikes, this might be the best option for you considering it works with two tire sizes and can double as a reliable computer for both your bikes. This is cost-saving and efficient. It also helps get your mind on the sport since you don’t have to worry about the reliability of your bicycle computer while switching gears.
CAT EYE – Padrone Wireless Bike Computer and Speedometers
This is a great bike computer with many features and a large enough screen to read the numbers easily. CAT EYE made this model 22% thinner and increased the screen size by 85% so customers can have a better experience while riding.
Set up is easy with this unit. The magnet is large enough that it is both easy to mount and sturdy during use. Because the odometer is manual, you don’t have to refresh your statistics and start anew every time you swap batteries. This is a cool feature for those who want to monitor and compare long term progress.
- Flex tight bracket for a secure fit.
- Save your miles feature.
- Universal speed sensor.
- Large screen.
- Easy navigation while riding.
- Time and speed automatically suspend when you stop and resume when you keep riding.
- Easy to read the screen.
- Large and easy to mount magnet.
- Setup buttons are too small.
- Pairing the unit with the sensor is difficult.
This wireless bike computer is a great option for those who are particular about saving their miles. It is also great if you don’t want to squint every time you have to read statistics. The big screen is very helpful with that. The setup buttons are somewhat tiny, so setting up might be quite challenging. But when you have successfully conquered that, you’ll be happy, those buttons are out of the way.
IGPSPORT GPS Bike Computer and Speedometers
This bicycle computer from IGPSPORT is the main deal for complete accuracy and speed of transmission. The GPS is very sensitive, and the advanced sensor makes for smooth readings. The large screen is made with anti-dazzle technology to make for easy viewing during the day and at night.
This bicycle computer with a powerful ANT+ sensor is exactly what you need for the most accurate readings during your bike rides. After securing the sensor and mounting the unit snugly, you will receive smooth connectivity and a steady influx of accurate data while you ride. The battery life is strong, and the unit stores data for up to 200 hours of riding.
- 2-inch screen.
- Strava compatible.
- Durable battery.
- ANT+ wireless Bluetooth sensors.
- Great screen organization.
- Fast and accurate tracking.
- Strong battery.
- Weak charging port.
- Security issues.
If you need a quick and accurate bicycle computer for high-intensity tracking, this is the bike computer for you. The ANT+ sensor is very accurate and transmits quickly because of the Bluetooth connectivity. This unit is equipped with regular functions like distance and speed, including extra functions like cadence and heart rate. Be prepared to beef up security on this unit since the smart technology is advanced and open to attacks.
JGRZF Bike Computer and Speedometers
The JGRZF Bike Computer is the perfect waterproof, LED-backlit, solar energy system bike computer that works with most bikes. You can use it on most mountain bikes, road bikes and folding bikes, to mention a few.
This bicycle computer is fully equipped with stunning features including distance, max sped, average speed, calorie counter, low power mode indicator, speed tendency and much more. It is one of the most convenient and durable bicycle computers to use on rainy days.
- LED backlight.
- Suitable for use with most bikes.
- Solar energy system.
- Provides accurate data.
- Easy to read.
- Can be used on rainy days.
- Unclear setup instructions.
- Difficulty with proper strapping.
If you need a reliable bike computer to take you through enjoyable bike rides, even when it’s pouring outside, this will be a perfect choice. This model is weatherproofed to withstand rain. The LED backlight is excellent for night time riding. You can even set it so that the backlight works 24 hours. Setup instructions aren’t very clear and getting the unit strapped snugly might be a problem, but after you get this done, you will enjoy your bike computer.
MACUNIN Bike Computer and Speedometers
Be assured you won’t be battling with screen glare or squinting to read the numbers in this large screen bicycle computer with three different LED backlights. It is equipped with multiple functions that are easy to use daily.
The MACCUNIN bicycle computer has white, blue and green LED backlight to fit the needs of every user. Programming this unit is fairly simple, but setup might be a challenge since the instructions provided are not very helpful. After you overcome this challenge, you’re in for a rewarding time with this bicycle computer.
- 3-inch screen.
- Three types of the backlight.
- 20 functions.
- Simple operation.
- Easy to read.
- Measures many parameters.
- Installing instructions aren’t very helpful.
- Not very accurate.
If you like a variety of backlights, you will enjoy this bicycle computer with three different options and a large screen for viewing comfort. There is a green, blue and white backlight option you can select from and set.
Nellvita Multi Function Wireless Bike Cycling Computer and Speedometers
The accuracy delivered by Nellvita’s multi-function wireless bike computer is profound as the unit is built with smart design. The touchscreen odometer is easy to operate, waterproof, wireless and suitable for use with many common bikes.
This is the bicycle computer with the most functions available and is perfect for bikers who want to know it all. It is super easy to read your statistics on the 2.7-inch screen of this bicycle computer. The screen has a white LED backlight for easy reading. Nellvita should have considered a smartphone-like backlight on this unit as the available LED light darkens towards the bottom of the screen.
- 7-inch large screen.
- 25 multiple functions.
- Gives a nice visual read.
- The touch interface is very convenient.
- Great display size.
- Backlight darkens at the bottom of the screen.
- Difficult to setup.
For the avid biker who wants an array of functions, this is the best bicycle computer. Packing a total of 25 different functions, this computer will give you readings on distance, temperature, speed, calories, average time, maximum time and much more. Setup isn’t very straightforward, but this unit is easy to use once you can get that out of the way.
Nellvita NWP-7 Multi Function Wireless Bicycle Cycling Computer and Speedometers
If you don’t want to squint while riding, get a bicycle computer with a large screen like Nellvita’s NWP-7 cycling computer. It comes with an extended mount, is truly waterproof, and the large screen with soft white backlight will be a delight to use.
This sturdy bike computer and Speedometers are very easy to install with detailed instructions and equally as easy and straightforward to use. The 3-inch large LCD screen has a soft white backlight for easy reading during the day and at night. You can comfortably use the 20 in-built functions with accuracy on this wireless bicycle computer.
- 3-inch screen.
- 20 functions.
- Accurate tracking.
- Large screen.
- Easy to use and easy to install.
- Poor quality mount.
- Weak batteries.
For beginners and seasoned bikers alike, this will be a very useful tool. It is simple and straightforward to use. The large screen makes for easy reading, and the multiple functions create an assortment of choices for the rider. Note that the mount design and equipment for this unit is quite poor. You might have to buy sturdier mounting gear to ensure your bicycle computer sits in place and connects with the sensor to deliver accurate readings.
We find that competitive, casual and enthusiast bicycle riders all have different needs when it comes to collecting riding statistics. Depending on which category you fall into, you might want to consider some crucial points before purchasing a bicycle computer. What is the best bike computer? What should you consider when choosing a bike computer? We have all the right answers below:
- Battery life: some magnetic models watch batteries, usually one or two. GPS models come with rechargeable batteries that can last 10 to 20 hours. Some models even have solar panels that recharge automatically.
- Data transfer: many GPS bike computers cater to this feature to allow you to transfer data from your favorite apps.
- Cost: even though this is one out of many considerations, you must have a budget and stand by it. There is a bike computer for every price tag.
- Backlight: this is very important for cyclers who ride in the night.
- Multiple data screens: if you want the advantage of scrolling through different screens to read separate sets of data, look out for this feature.
- Multi-bike use: are you a multiple bike owner? You might want a data computer that can serve your various bicycles instead of purchasing different units for each bike.
- Readability: how large is the screen of your bike computer and how easy is it to read data off it?
Today’s world is tech-saturated. Every aspect of life is now cushioned by some form of data analysis or another. Cycling isn’t left out of this trend too. Cycling enthusiasts are becoming more aware of the importance of gathering riding data. When they use this data to track progress and performance, cyclists can improve their abilities.
When the first bicycle computers were introduced to the market, we had bulky, heavy units that only displayed basic functions. After years of improvement, the bicycle computer industry has moved on from speed, time and distance to more complex data values on slimmer, faster and even wireless bike computers. Everyone can find something for their level of expertise, whether they are professionals or beginners.
Bicycle computers have become an indispensable tool for any rider who takes tracking seriously. If you dream of becoming a better cycler, invest in a suitable bike computer today. This post provides adequate information to help you make the best choice for your needs. Make sure to share this information with a cycling buddy of yours too.
Leave a Reply